The Ultimate Benefits Package
I’ll never forget how excited I was about the awesome “Benefits Package” I got with my first job: full healthcare coverage, 401K, investment options and the list goes on. Whenever the going got tough at work or my boss asked me to do something I didn’t want to do, I would remind myself of those benefits. Suddenly, my circumstances didn’t look so bad. “It’s totally worth it” I would tell myself. Knowing I had those benefits secured into place–where no one or nothing could take them away–changed everything.
It is the same with our faith. When we “sign on” to being a true follower of Christ (not just by name but by action), we receive the ultimate “package” of benefits, laid out by King David in Psalm 103:
1 Praise the Lord, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
2 Praise the Lord, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
3 who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
5 who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Don’t miss the two little words in verse two that change everything: FORGET NOT. Forget not what? All the benefits and blessings God has so graciously brought into our lives.
God must have known we would be a forgetful people because there are reminders all throughout the Scriptures to REMEMBER Him! If we would simply remember to not forget, we would be a lot better off. But instead, if you’re anything like me, things like financial struggles, future uncertainties, family relationships…and the day-to-day “to-do’s” often take over my mind before I even take my first sip of coffee! I so easily forget the good things…the blessings…the ways in which God is visibly and actively working in my life and allow instead negativity and worry to rule.
The trick, I think, is to remember and meditate on the benefits we have in Christ before our minds enters their own daily rat races with the world. Let’s take a slightly deeper look into what these benefits actually are and what they mean for our lives:
- Forgiveness. Remember how Jesus died for YOUR sins? Each day, meditate on this wonderful benefit. Christ died on the cross, taking on the punishment for the sin YOU deserved so that YOU could enjoy relationship and eternal life with the Father. Don’t forget!
- Healing. Remember the sickness God healed YOU from? Or the addiction? Or the broken heart…anxiety…jealousy…perfectionism? Our Lord came to heal brokenness in a broken world. By His stripes, YOU are healed. Don’t forget!
- Redemption/Restoration. Remember how you used to live in darkness and didn’t recognize the light all around you? God pulls us out of our own self-inflicted pit and redeems…restores…renews our souls for His purposes and glory. YOU are restored. Don’t forget!
- Holiness. Remember how you used to find it difficult to feel any love or compassion toward the lost? When you were so caught in your own “stuff” that you couldn’t be bothered by anyone elses? He has crowned YOU with HIS love and compassion for hurting people in this fallen world. YOU are HIS heart beating in this world. YOU are His hands and feet. What a privilege and honor to bear HIS holy image. Don’t forget!
- Satisfaction. Remember when you once desired the pleasures of this world more than God? When pride, greed and lust used to rule and direct your desires? You now have the Advocate, the Holy Spirit of God, living inside of YOU to help you fight this raging battle. He has overcome the evil one for YOU so you can be satisfied in HIM. Don’t forget!
Every morning, we wake up with a choice to make: what will I allow to rule my mind today? The worries and cares of the world or the awesome benefits of God’s kingdom? Which will you choose?
Father, thank you that the sacrifice you made on the cross means I automatically receive awesome benefits, by Your grace. Help me to forget not this wonderful and life-changing Truth! Help me to remember, specifically, the ways in which you have blessed me and my family. Forgiveness. Healing. Redemption. Holiness. Satisfaction. These are the ultimate benefits you give to us in Christ that no one or nothing in this world can take away from us. I bless You Lord, with my inmost being today. My soul praises Your holy name!